Cron Job to clear Rails Cache

The rails file cache is something that keeps growing.
Here are some 'handy' snippets.

Delete all files older then 7 days. (replace -delete with -print to test it)

find ./tmp/cache/ -type f -mtime +7 -delete

Delete all empty folders. (mindepth prevents the deletion of the root folder)

find ./tmp/cache/ -type d -empty -delete -mindepth 1

The whenever.rb I use

job_type :command_in_path, "cd :path && :task :output"

every :day, at: "0:40" do
  command_in_path "find ./tmp/cache/ -type f -mtime +7 -delete"
end

every :day, at: "1:10" do
  command_in_path "find ./tmp/cache/ -type d -empty -delete -mindepth 1"
end

Rails Email Preview

Just a short post for myself to remember the ActionMailer Preview functionality.

test/mailers/previews/mailer_preview.rb

class MailerPreview < ActionMailer::Preview
  def mailer_method_name
    TeamPersonMailer.mailer_method_name( email_method_argument ) 
  end
end

And view your preview emails at: http://localhost:3000/rails/mailers

Fix rails database collations

Today I discovered my Ruby on Rails development environment database migrated with the wrong character encoding. It was using the MySQL default encoding latin1.
I didn't feel throwing my database away because it contains a lot of stuff.

I used the following snippet to convert all columns to utf8

    ActiveRecord::Base.connection.tables.each do |table|
      ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute( &quot;ALTER TABLE `#{table}` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci&quot;)
    end

A copy of has been removed from the module tree but is still active

I'm working on a rails website that requires me to specify a class in an initializer.

config/initializers

spree.searcher_class = MySearcherClass

I'm currently developing this searcher class. Every time I change this class I get the following message:

A copy of MySearcherClass has been removed from the module tree but is still active

This sucks big time! Because I need to restart my rails application every time I change something.

My workaround for the moment is this:

spree.searcher_class = class.new do
    def new(*args,&block)
      return MySearcherClass.new( *args, &block )
    end
  end
end

I'm not very keen on this, but it does the trick for now :)